Friday, September 7, 2012

Egg Rolls at Home

While looking for something new to try, I came across the section of a local grocery that has Asian vegetables; it also is where I would buy the little wraps I have used to make either gyoza (potstickers) as well as ravioli.  This time I spotted larger wraps used to make egg rolls.

What I did was chop up onion, shredded carrot, cabbage, and garlic, and saute it for a few minutes.  Then I added ground pork and some sesame oil and soy sauce and cooked it all through.  I seasoned it further with soy until it had good flavor but without too much saltiness.  Since this was for my kids, I didn't add more than a touch of cayenne for a kick (one kid loves spice, the other doesn't, but I do add a little bit to condition her to enjoy at least a little!).

Once the filling was cooled off, I added it to each wrap and sealed the edges with water and rolled them up like little burritos.  I then wiped out the pan, heated up peanut oil, and fried them gently all around.  Then it was "pick your own sauce" time, and in the picture you can see I had soy, peanut sauce, and mustard.  I would have preferred either Dijon or hot Chinese mustard, but all I had last night was the yellow kind.  My kids preferred the soy, but I found the spicy peanut sauce to work really well.  Next time I'll make this even better with scallions instead of yellow onion and perhaps some baby shrimp in the filling!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mike, I enjoy reading about your food journey. Keep up the good work. Charlie Schneider