Friday, August 24, 2012

Homemade Pickles

My kids love dill pickles, so when a family friend gave my parents some home grown cucumbers, and passed them along to me, I thought we'd try making our own pickles.

Being an Alton Brown fan from Food Network, I used his recipe (click here) to brine some cucumbers and see how it goes!  Hope it works out better than my sauerkraut experiment; that didn't end up producing really good sauerkraut, but actually more of a tasty vinegary cole slaw that at least I enjoyed!

I'll post again or comment here when we taste the results in a week or so.  This picture shows how we're using a crock pot as the pickling vessel. 

1 comment:

Mike Watson said...

Author's note: This didn't turn out so well; after 10 days the pickles were still cucumbers, and after 20 days they were simply mushy cucumbers. This probably isn't worth revisiting from my perspective since you can get pickles in many places, and I will try the local farmers market for them soon--Mike