Friday, March 16, 2012

My Daughter's Pasta

My daughter and I are fans of the Chopped food show, so we decided to have a cook-off against one another.  I attempted to make a sun-dried tomato pesto, but had never tried it before nor seen a recipe for it.  I blended sun-dried tomatoes, a big garlic clove, pine nuts, asiago cheese, and olive oil in my ancient little food processor and tossed some capellini in it; it was just average so I spiced it up with some red pepper flakes and some goat cheese.

Meanwhile, my daughter used her favorite recipe that she came up with on her own.  She had done it before and this time she did it almost all on her own (she's 9, so I still work the burner for her).  She melts butter in a pan, then slowly melts goat cheese.  Then she pours in tomato sauce and slowly blends it until creamy and smooth.

I took a picture of her winning dish.  The simple flavors trumped my rather rough attempt at pesto and I got "chopped"!























P.S. Recipes weren't allowed for this little contest, but afterwards I looked up a pesto recipe and it didn't contain pine nuts, but did have some basil leaves.  What I basically did was use a green pesto blend and add a ton of the tomatoes, but it wasn't smooth, so I will adjust for next time.  Always something new to learn!

No comments: