Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Calamari with Lemony Pan Sauce

I was experimenting with some Spanish tapas ideas recently and came up with a successful appetizer dish here; the photos are bad but the taste was great! 

I started off by soaking some thawed calamari rings in milk, then coating them with flour mixed with some cayenne and salt. 
They sauteed easily in olive oil and I turned them as needed to crisp them up:

Next time I will let them form a little better since I obviously mangled them somewhat in the process.  After they were done, I made a quick pan sauce with white wine and fresh lemon juice, then thickened it with a little flour/butter mix (I'd like to think it was a bit of buerre manie).
The sauce looks more like melted cheese than a lemon sauce, but it was a tasty snack!  I'm not sure why I chose chopsticks for eating this but it probably had something to do with the leftover wine that I was enjoying while I cooked this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice~I appreciate that you can critique your own cooking. I think I would enjoy that dish but I might like to add some jardiniere because spicy is hot!