Sunday, March 6, 2011

Arancine! sort of.......

I was reading the latest edition of Saveur, my favorite food magazine (sorry Food & Wine, after all these 15 years you are #2). 

The March edition of Saveur highlighted the food of Sicily, and my foodie eight year old daughter spotted a recipe for arancine, which are traditional fried rice balls stuffed with savory Italian ragu.  On the fly, knowing I had a bit of browned ground beef around, pasta sauce, and instant rice, I decided to make a home cook's quickie version of this classic. 

I cooked up some rice, mixed it with egg, flour, parmesan, and bread crumbs until it was sticky, and then flattened each pad of rice mix in my hand (with my young sous chef following suit).  We added a chunk of the beef/sauce mix and formed balls of about 1 1/2 inch diameter.  I fried them in olive oil until crispy, and they turned out great!






















My son suggested we skip the meat/sauce filling and stuff them with provolone or other cheese next time (goat cheese? buffalo mozzarella?). 

The actual arancine recipe from Saveur can be found by clicking here.  If I get a chance to modify the basic replication I executed, and create something better, then I will post an update.

No comments: