Saturday, November 20, 2010

What to do with leftover rotisserie chicken!

Sometimes I pick up a rotisserie chicken from the local grocery to make quick tacos for the kids.  I usually have plenty of chicken leftover, especially the dark meat that they don't favor, so I will make chicken noodle soup or some similar concoction.

In this photo, I've sauteed onion and carrots in olive oil before adding a cup or two of chicken broth:


After the veggies have softened up a bit I add all of the chicken, even if much of it is still on the bone.  It's a good idea to let the juices seep into the soup--a little fat isn't going to be a big deal and it adds a lot of flavor.

When the chicken has heated up slowly on low heat, I remove the pieces and let them cool, then shred the remaining meat from the bones from hand and add it back to the soup.  I will either add egg noodles to finalize the soup, or some orzo.  In this photo, I simply have added some sweet corn from a can along with just a small amount of orzo.

All I'm really doing here is short-cutting the production of chicken stock using a classic mirepoix (saute of onion, carrot, and celery) and utilizing the leftover chicken immediately to form a hearty, tasty soup!  It's very easy to adjust to your own tastes--I might suggest a version with cilantro, chopped raw onion, and lime at the end for a Mexican theme.  The main point is to use up the delicious roasted chicken!

No comments: