Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Cheese Fondue

Last year I picked up a fairly cheap fondue pot, and finally pulled it out of storage for a little food project:


I always loved doing fondue as a kid in the '70's--we cooked chunks of steak in oil and dipped them in a couple kinds of sauces.  I inherited my parents' lime-green fondue pot and even used it for a double-date back in the 90's that lasted until 2am since we couldn't get it fueled properly.  Despite its condition, I sadly lost it in the move from the city to the suburbs. 

Flash forward to last night--I pulled out the one I picked up on a whim last summer and my daughter and I put together a delicious cheese fondue.  Here's what we did:

  • 1/4 stick of butter or so melted first
  • little pack of goat cheese melted next
  • cheddar slices
  • gruyere cheese grated (gruyere is key!!)
  • splash of white wine for more liquid and sweetness
  • squeeze of lemon juice for acid tang flavor
I believe that some recipes call for more liquid (wine) and flour but my kids don't care for too much wine flavor (yet!).

We chopped up some fairly crusty french baguette slices and dipped them in for an awesome meal!  We also fondued some orange pepper slices to add veggies to the mix.

Separately, we melted butter and chocolate chips in a pan and dipped in strawberries so the daughter could have her dessert fondue also.  You really don't need a fondue pot to make these things but they are fun to use!

We are planning a steak and seafood fondue session for next weekend along with some custom sauces!  Fun for kids and it would make for a nice, albeit small, wine/food night for couples. 




No comments: