Friday, December 16, 2011

Braised Oxtail Ragout on Pastina

On a recent episode of Drive-Ins, Diners, and Dives on Food Network I saw a chef create a really interesting braised oxtail dish atop risotto.  I recreated it fairly successfully by first braising some oxtails over very low heat with some beef broth.
After the oxtails simmered for a couple of hours, I sauteed onion, carrot, and garlic in olive oil until fairly soft (the garlic, of course, went in after the onion and carrots had partially cooked already).










I then added some tomato sauce and red wine, shown clearly in this highly professional photo!  (note, if someone wants to get me a Christmas gift, then you probably know what I need!)
I drained the oxtails and let them cool, and when the sauce had reduced to a syrupy texture, I shredded strips of the meat on top of some pastina I made (risotto is probably better but I am not good at it and it's more time consuming).

I then poured the ragout on top of the meat and ate a very tasty dish!

No comments: